AUTISM SPECTRUM (AS)
(See also: Forgiveness, Disability Purposes, Disability Resources, Bullying, Counseling)
Puppy & Baby Gator:
different perceptual & social skills
need time & patience for trust & understanding
* SEE VIDEO OF SCOTTY & GATOR *
VIDEO Encouragement ;-)
VIDEOS of AS Research (cause, treatment, etc.)
- 2015 YALE Univ. study may help explain
- Washington Post on role of AS folks & tech industry
- WHY change diagnostic labels from Asperger's to ASD?
BOOK RECOMMENDED (Christian Perspective)
Finding Your Child’s Way on the Autism Spectrum: Discovering Unique Strengths, Mastering Behavior Challenges
by Dr. Laura Hendrickson MD
“Finding Your Child's Way on the Autism Spectrum is a guide for parents struggling to communicate and manage behavioral challenges with their autistic child. Dr. Laura Hendrickson, a psychiatrist and Biblical counselor, is the mother of a grown son who recovered from autism. She offers compassionate, practical advice on raising your child into adulthood and helping him function as the person God created them to be.”
- VIDEO (Joni & Friends) Making Sense of Autism (Part 1) (Part 2)
- "But My Child is Different")
- "IN MEMORY OF LAURA HENDRICKSON")
CCEF RESOURCES ON AUTISM - ASPERGERS
(Christian Counseling & Education Foundation)
- see also the mini-book on Asperger Syndrome by Michael R. Emlet, M.Div., M.D. practiced as a family physician for 12 years before joining CCEF as a counselor and faculty member. Mike holds an M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania as well as a Master of Divinity degree from Westminster Theological Seminary.
BOOK DESCRIPTION: "Someone you love has been diagnosed with the neurological disorder Asperger Syndrome. You are already experiencing the social struggles, communication difficulties, and other challenges, but you are also looking for hope. Does the Bible speak to this struggle? In CCEFs Asperger Syndrome: Meeting the Challenges with Hope, Michael R. Emlet combines his experience as a physician and a biblical counselor to explain Asperger Syndrome and highlight the unique place each person, including those with AS, have in God's family. He gives biblical, practical advice on how to deal with the spiritual challenges of AS and encourages with the truth that each person has inherent dignity and worth. New Growth Press minibooks are frequently used by pastors and ministry leaders to help others apply biblical wisdom to specific life issues. Churches, biblical counseling ministries, and missional organizations make the minibooks available in their acrylic display cases to further discipleship and gospel-centered living."